Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH is a leading German pharmaceutical giant, founded in 1885 by Dr. Albert Boehringer, which produces human pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, chemicals, as well as animal health related products. With more than 41,300 employees, it is one of the fastest-growing pharmaceutical companies in the world.
DESIGN ELEMENTS OF BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM LOGO
The present Boehringer Ingelheim logo was originally designed in 1924. It was later modified in 1962 to be reworked again in 1997 by Ole Schäfer of MetaDesign.
Shape of the Boehringer Ingelheim Logo:
The earliest known Boehringer Ingelheim logo remained functional from 1893 to 1908. It comprised of a vertical oval with the intertwined letters “CHBS" which symbolize CH Boehringer and Sohn. The emblem became particularly popular in 1908. The first of the two treatments that developed into the present logo was brought in 1924.
The Boehringer Ingelheim logo incorporates a stylized rendition of the central section of the imperial palace of Charlemagne. The graphic treatment utilizes seven equally spaced vertical rules (two short, three tall and two short) to stylistically depict the palace.
The chevron on the top elucidates that this is a roofed dwelling. By erasing the name from inside the circle, and making the rules to bleed out of the bottom of the containing circle, designer Ole Schäfer has liberated the palace. In addition, the relationship of the inner rules and the outer circle is well-balanced and easy, with plentiful negative space allowing the symbol to breathe.
Color of the Boehringer Ingelheim Logo:
The blue color in the Boehringer Ingelheim logo represents excellence, strength and stability.
Font of the Boehringer Ingelheim Logo:
The Boehringer Ingelheim logo uses a custom font designed by Ole Schäfer.